This is a very special time for any parent and their child expressing interest in identifying with Christ in a public way. With any person, child or adult, who is following in obedience to Christ's command for baptism, we emphasize biblical grounds for this decision.
1. Relationship with Jesus
- Has come into a relationship with Jesus Christ through repentance of sin and faith in Christ, alone.
- Understands that believers baptism (immersed completely into the water) doesn't save you, and doesn't give any more of God's love beyond coming to faith in Jesus Christ.
- You have been crucified with Christ-you no longer live for yourself, but unto Christ.
3. Church Membership
- The act of believers baptism is a public display of identifying with Christ in his death as well as in his resurrection.
- Represents the "old" is gone and the "new" has come.
- In addition, upon celebrating this act of believers baptism, as a church family we commit to fostering an environment of biblical education and personal discipleship to assist each member in your family.
- We present you as a child of God in His Kingdom as well as identifying as a local member here at First Baptist Church.
What discredits a person from being baptized?
Children who are unable to explain in their own words what the Bible teaches about salvation and baptism are probably not ready for baptism. That is okay, though. This is a journey with Jesus and the family. It's important the ministry of FBC that a child fully understands: we are sinners in need of God's forgiveness and grace, through his Son, Jesus Christ, and through Him alone (Ephesians 2:8-9)
If you feel your child has trusted Christ to be their Savior and are ready to respond in obedience to Christ's command to be baptized, contact our church office to set up an appointment with the Pastor to discuss proceeding with baptism.